Visit the web page of the Department of Mineral Sciences! You will find information about the staff, the Gem and Mineral Collection, and the ongoing science!
Your support helps us:
- Grow our Gem & Mineral Collection to keep it at the World-Class level, providing minerals for research and education as well as awe-inspiring specimens for the Gem and Mineral Hall
- Launch groundbreaking rotating exhibitions and develop our existing fabulous Gem & Mineral Hall
- Create fun educational programs around gems, minerals and meteorites
- Share our treasures and knowledge by increasing our virtual presence
- Support our innovative research: help the discovery of new minerals, the investigation of the deep earth using exciting clues from diamonds or fund the next generation of scientists.
Annual Contribution of $1,000
With this level of membership that includes a Family Membership to the NHM, you will have access to at least 5 benefits per year and a subscription to the Gem & Mineral Council’s bi-monthly e-newsletter. Events may include:
• Exclusive lectures given by world-renowned scientists, collectors, and jewelers.
• Exciting, local, family-friendly field trips.
• Visit the world with a geology expert: international field trips lead by the curatorial staff and/or a field geologist (usually organized every other year).
• Adult and children’s workshops on topics such as gems, meteorites, geology, and more.
• Meet the creator: invitation to the openings of rotating exhibits.
• Private viewing of collector’s collections at their home, or visit to a private, local mine.
• Invitation to the Gem and Mineral Annual Reception.
Annual contribution of $5,000
The Connoisseur’s Circle is directly involved in the annual purchase of a specimen for the collection. You will have access to:
• All the benefits listed above.
• Annual dinner with the Curator and Collection Manager to vote on a new specimen to purchase (e.g., gem, mineral, meteorite, rock), from a selection chosen by the curator.
• A day tour with the Gem and Mineral Curator at international Gem and Mineral Shows, such as Tucson (AZ), Munich (Germany) or Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines (France).
• Up to two invited guests per lecture.
• Private tours of the Gem and Mineral Collection and behind-the-scenes tours for friends and family (up to 10 people).
For information on how to join or renew your membership with the Gem & Mineral Council, contact us at (213) 763-3326 or at email@example.com
Amethyst with a clear quartz hat. Both the crystal (7 cm high) and the gem (72 carats) come from California, Fresno County, in Shaver Lake.