Volunteer on a Youth and Parent Team or independently, if you are 16 or 17 years old!
- Learn and try new things.
- Fulfill school service requirements in an amazing and unique environment.
- Meet other young people who have similar interests.
- Gain real laboratory experience working in one of the Museum’s research departments.
- Work side by side with scientists, researchers, and educators.
Students from middle school through 10th grade
Students from middle school through 10th grade may volunteer when accompanied by at least one parent as part of a Youth and Parent Team. Youth and Parent Teams are ideal for families that enjoy learning together.
What are some things that Youth and Parent Teams might do?
- Help at weekend museum events for families
- Assist with art and craft activities during special programs
- Meet and greet Museum visitors on weekends to visitors get off to a good start
- Work with young children during science activities such as during Junior Scientist or Critter Club.
Students ages 16-17
Students ages 16-17 may volunteer for Special Events and Programs as well as Behind the Scenes. Whether you like the excitement of a fast paced place with lots of action or if you prefer a quiet place to put your skills to use, there are many volunteer opportunities for you at the Natural History Museum.
What are some things that Youth Volunteers (ages 16-17) do?
- Work behind the scenes in a research department during the summer months
- Support the Adventures In Nature summer day camp programs
- Assist with craft activities for families and young children
- Help with educational activities at Museum special events and weekend programs
What does it take to become a Youth Volunteer (ages 16-17) for Special Events and Programs?
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, especially on weekends
- Enthusiasm for the Museum and its mission of inspiring wonder, discovery, and responsibility for our natural and cultural worlds
- Desire and commitment to work as part of a team within a continually expanding program
What does it take to become a Youth Volunteer (ages 16-17) and help Behind the Scenes?
- Availability weekdays for at least eight hours per week during the summer
- Aptitude for the specified research department’s work
- Interest in working in a laboratory or office
- Desire to develop new skills and gain new knowledge
- Demonstrated respect for the value of scientific specimens
- Strong attention to detail and quality of work performed
Yes, I want to volunteer on a Youth and Parent Team! Volunteer Application
Yes, I want to volunteer as a Youth Volunteer! Volunteer Application
For more information about volunteering, please contact (213) 763-3341 or Volunteer@nhm.org